Saturday, October 27, 2007

Freedom From Unhappiness -The Power Of Now - Eckart Tolle

Most people blog about or relating to what is happening in their lives. I am no different. Last night I was presented with an issue of what would bring resentful feelings to someone in my life. As spiritual being and teacher and student I believe that there are no accidents, that the lessons we need are presented at the time we need them in the way we need them, whether they are comfortable for us or not. I have been blessed for all my lessons as hard as many have been.

I am currently reading Eckart Tolle's The Power of Now and I highly suggest it to all my blog readers. Each of you will undoubtedly find yourself reading the exact words and message relevant to your life just as I found myself doing today. I could not help but hear the messsage, "read the book" as I started my day. So with my cup of coffee in-hand I picked up the book, curled up on my glider and rocked/lulled myself and read.


Two things jumped out at me. Perhaps if you are reading this then these are lessons you can relate to at this moment in your life.

On page 68 of his book he writes, " See if you can give as much attention to the doing as the result you want to achieve through it."

And starting on page 77 he writes the following:
Do you resent doing what you are doing? It may be your job, or you may have agreed to do something and are doing it, but part of you resents and resists it. Are you carrying unspoken resentment toward a person close to you? Do you realize that the energy you thus emanate is so harmful in its effects that you are in fact contaminating yourself as well as those around you? Have a good look inside. Is there even the slightest trace of resentment, unwillingness? If there is, observe it on both the mental and emotional levels. What thoughts is your mind creating around this situation? Then look at the emotion, which is the body's reaction to those thoughts. Feel the emotion. Does it feel pleasant or unpleasant? Is it an energy that you would actually choose to have inside you? Do you have a choice? Maybe you are being taken advantage of, maybe the activity you are engaged in is tedius, maybe someone close to you is dishonest, irritating, or uncouscious, but all this is irrelevant. Whether your thoughts and emotions about this situation are justified or not makes no difference. The fact is that you are resisting what is. You are making the present moment into an enemy. You are creating unhappiness, conflict between the inner and the outer... DROP THE NEGATIVITY THAT YOUR MIND HAS CREATED AROUND THE SITUATION THAT SERVES NO PURSOSE WHATSOEVER EXCEPT TO STRENGTHEN A FALSE SENSE OF SELF...You are responsible for your inner space; nobody else is...As within, so without."

The Power of Now ISBN-IO: I-57731-480-8, ISBN-13: 978-I-5773I-480-6 can be found at most bookstores for $14 U.S.